Sunday, November 11, 2012

waaaaaangs

I love wings.  Traditional buffalo style bits of saucy chickeney goodness?  That's the way to my heart.

Lately thought, I've managed to have a real run of nasty wings.  It is, indeed, possible to screw them up.  They've been overdone, dry, and just disgusting.  I like tasty and moist and dripping with saucy wings!  So, as I've been known to do?  I made my own.

Here's my sauce recipe so far.  It's still under construction, but it's pretty damn good so far.

You'll need:
2 sticks butter y'all.  I prefer salted, but unsalted will work too.
1 cup hot sauce.  Don't laugh, but WalMart's version of Frank's is PERFECT, with no added water like its namesake.  And it's literally 1/3 of the price!
2 Tablespoons plain white vinegar
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/8 - 1/4 tsp Chili Powder (omit this if you want mild wings, increase for more heat)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 -4 cloves garlic, put through a press twice and chopped until it's pretty much liquified.

Put all the ingredients in a saucepan.  Heat up till just simmering (DO NOT BOIL) over low heat.  Use a whisk or immersion blender to whip it up and make it a delicious saucy emulsion.   Cover, remove from heat, and let sit to come to room temperature.  Use at that point, or refrigerate until you need it.  As this is natural (not a bunch of canola oil and preservatives), it will separate.  You'll need to warm it up and whisk it again before you toss the wings in it.

As far as preparing the wings, if you suggest that I bread them, I will come there and kick you in the shins.  The only acceptable way to eat wings is to FRY THEM.  If you're trying to cut calories (aside from the fact that you shouldn't be eating something whose main ingredient is BUTTER, Y'ALL), you could bake them I guess.  But really - frying them is the way to go.  Just remember that they need to reach 180 degrees (using a meat thermometer stabbed into the meatiest part of the wing), so you don't get sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment