Friday, September 7, 2012

as if that's not bad enough for you

Ah yes.  Paula Deen.  Hypocrite "celebrity chef" of the highest order.  She tells you to slather everything in sugar and/or butter, and then gets the diabeetus and then sells you medication for it.

Although I don't necessarily agree with her tactics, she is right about one thing: damn if steaks aren't better with some butter on them. During one of our family trips to Walt Disney World, I discovered the joy of "steak butter" while enjoying a meal at Yachtsman Steakhouse. 

Since we've found a great local meat market with amazing steaks, I've been on a bender to find something really cool to do with them.  Sure, any idiot can grill them and throw some sauce or Mrs. Dash on them.  But it takes a real glutton to add butter to a massive New York Strip Steak.  Of course, that glutton is ME ... and I set out to make a recipe of steak butter that I really liked.

It took me a few tries, but here's what I've been using.  I served my most recent concoction tonight for my daughter's birthday dinner, and it must have been tasty.  Why, you ask?  Because as we were cleaning up the table after dinner, the dog jumped up and grabbed the two remaining pats and ran like hell.

I hope your family enjoys this awesome Garlic and Herb Steak Butter as much as mine has.

Oh and PS - you could double this recipe if you have a big family (or are having Paula Deen over for dinner).  However, the recipe as listed below topped my family's steaks tonight with some left over.  And since it's most delicious when freshly prepared, I'd advise making the recipe as-is to start.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 stick salted butter, room temperature
1-2 cloves fresh garlic, put through a press
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
dash of freshly ground pepper
1/2 - 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley (I prefer fresh, but dried will work - use a bit more than you would if it were fresh)


PROCEDURE:
Put the butter in a bowl.  Use the back of a large spoon (a tablespoon is best) to smash and work the butter until it is beaten smooth.  Add the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper; work in.  Once the butter is fully blended, fold in the finely chopped parsley.

Place a piece of wax paper on the counter.  Spoon the butter mixture onto it, and spread it to the desired shape.  Smooth the butter mixture, wrap in the wax paper, and place in a zippered plastic bag (lest you stink up the fridge with your garlic stank).  Refrigerate until firm, at least an hour.  Not only does this make the butter nice and stiff, it helps the flavors blend together in a magical festival of deliciousness.

When steaks are finished cooking, and right before serving them, add a pat or two (or five) of the butter on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment