Saturday, September 22, 2012

here fishy fishy

We've been on a carnivorous tear lately.  Steak, burgers, brats ... you name it, we eat it.  However, we need to back off of that a bit.

Tonight's dinner was salmon.  My husband, in all of his infinite wisdom, said it was the best dinner he's ever had.  I don't know about that, but here's what we had.

Salmon - I prefer wild-caught.  Farm-raised has a host of concerns, including a sometimes-odd taste.  So, I pay a little extra for wild-caught salmon.  I grilled salmon steaks on my trusty gas grill until a meat thermometer measured 145 in the thickest part of the meat.  Right before they were done, I brushed them with a bit of butter that I prepared with two cloves of garlic (pressed), two wedges of lemon squeezed in, some dill, and some ground pepper. 

Twice-baked potatoes - Again, I'm Irish.  Mmmmm taters.  Anyhow, I baked some regular old potatoes until they were almost done.  I cut them in half, scooped out the guts, and put them in a bowl.  I added a few handfuls of Triple Cheddar Cheese, a splash of milk, and a tablespoon of butter y'all.  I took the mixer to them until they were smooth, and then spooned it back into the potato skins.  I then baked them at 425 for about 15 or 20 minutes until the mashed potatoes were fluffy, and then finished them under the broiler to make them crispy.  I served these with some sour cream and bacon bits.

Overall, it was a good dinner.  As we get further in to fall and winter, I'll miss using my grill.  Ah, who am I kidding?  I'll just open the garage door and cook inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment