Tuesday, September 11, 2012

reason #1,593,824 why i love my husband.

Because he can grill like a mofo.

All kidding aside, the chicken I made tonight was exceptional.  Yes, he actually grilled it.  But I made the sauce and bought the chicken and ... well, OK.  We did it together.

First of all, I bought leg quarters.  Why, you ask?  Well, because they stay deliciously juicy on the grill.  They don't dry out like boneless/skinless breasts, which is key when you're slow-cooking the poultry.  Plus, I like dark meat and I was the one that took their ass to the meat market.  So I bought what I like best. 

Then, I busted out one of my cookbooks. I modified a sauce recipe.  Here's what I made:

COCA-COLA SWEET BBQ SAUCE

Ingredients:
1 T. Butter
1 T. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil, you heathen)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1-2 cloves garlic, minced or put through a press
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 t. dry mustard powder
1 T. honey mustard
1 T. dijon mustard
1 cup Coca Cola (but I bet this would be good with Dr. Pepper too)
2 T. balsamic vinegar (don't cheap out on this - I prefer Fini brand.  I swear it's worth the money. That shit will change your life.)
2 T. apple cider vinegar
2 T. Worcestershire sauce (A1 will do in a pinch if you don't have any)
1/2 cup ketchup

Procedure:
Bust up a saute pan.  I have this one, and it's perfect for this recipe.  Put the butter and EVOO into the pan, and melt it on medium heat.  Throw in the onions and garlic, and cook until "wilted" (softened), about two minutes or so. 

Add in the brown sugar, dry mustard powder, honey mustard, and dijon mustard.  Heat it back up until it simmers, and cook it down till it thickens (about 20 minutes or so).  Stir it every few minutes so that it doesn't stick.  I like a silicone scraper spatula for this task.

When the sauce has thickened up, dump in the remainder of the ingredients.  Use a whisk to break up any ketchup clumps if necessary.  Simmer this down until it's the desired consistency ... again about 20 minutes or a half-hour or so.  The onions, if cut small enough, should disintegrate as they cook down.  If not, and they bother you, just pulse the cooked sauce in a food processor to blend in the onions after cooking the sauce down completely.

Use this sauce on chicken or ribs ... it's a bit too sweet for beef, and too heavy for pork chops or fish.  Get the meat nearly cooked through, and then brush this on during the last 10-15 minutes of slow grilling.  The sugars will carmelize nicely, and you'll have orgasm-worthy dinner.

I served this with some steamed red potatoes drizzled with butter, EVOO, and rosemary.  My husband made gutteral caveman noises as he gnawed on the chicken bones.  I assume this gets five "OMG MAKE THAT AGAIN"s out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment