Thursday, September 20, 2012

potayto, pohtahto

Being of the Irish persuasion, I love me some potatoes.  I don't know that I've ever met a potato I didn't like.

However, I also am empirically lazy.  This doesn't really jive with the whole concept of peeling and cooking potatoes.

So, what's a lazy girl to do?

Make my now-infamous Lazy Girl Potatoes.

Here's what you do:

Get yourself some small potatoes. I've recently discovered the super-awesome Klondike Gourmet brand (look at the pretty colors!) ... I got them at Giant Eagle.  If you can't find any cool tiny taters, slice up some new potatoes into quarters.

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Throw the raw potatoes into a bowl.  Add the following ingredients:

2 tablespoons EVOO
4-5 cloves of garlic, put through the press
a bit of sea salt and ground black peppercorns
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary leaves (discard the stalks).  If you need to use dried, cut back to about 1 1/2 tablespoons.


Toss the potatoes in the oil and spices.  Make sure that you get a good coating on everything. This is important, because there's nothing suckier than dry potatoes.  Plus, the EVOO will make the skins deliciously crispy.

Once everything is all mixed up, dump the mess into a 13x9 pan.  Throw it in the oven for about 10 minutes.  Stir to ensure a nice even coating of the sludge.  Bake until the potatoes are done ... they should be soft, but still firm.  Mooshy potatoes are disgusting, don't you agree?

Once you get them out of the oven, spoon them into a serving bowl.  Dot with some butter y'all (I use about 3/4 of a tablespoon), and drizzle with a bit of balsamic vinegar.  Toss the potatoes once again to ensure a nice even coating.  Serve hot, and watch your children try to strangle each other for the last of the little joyful spuds.

My family gave this five "I will cut you" threats out of five.



No comments:

Post a Comment