Sunday, September 16, 2012

get your ass off the couch.

Part of my quest for work-life balance has been pushing myself toward better self-care.  I've gained more than 100 pounds from my pageant weight (so about 75 pounds from what is considered "healthy" for me), and that's not cool.  I mean, I don't have any problems getting attention from my husband ... but for health's sake, I should take off some of the weight.

I also have some nasty injuries to contend with - I have a all-but-blown Achilles on my left ankle, and the talo / calcaneo ligaments are also shot.  Sadly, the impact from running isn't good for my ankle.  This makes me very sad, since I really do enjoy the peace that a little road work can bring.

I've recently started riding a bike again ... found a suitable one for $40 on Craigslist, and got a $20 "my ass is too big for this" seat from Target.  I am also on MapMyRide ... check me out here.

But oh.  I still love a good run / walk.  So when Run With Jess posted this?  I was TOTES in.

You're reading that right.  Running.  With CUPCAKES.  Or for cupcakes.  What the hell ever ... it's running and cupcakes and YAY.

Here's the deal:  It's a "virtual 5K".  That's 3.1 miles for us English measurement heathens.  You can walk that far, right?  So go register.  During the time span (October 14 -21), walk, walk/run, or run 3.1 miles.  Submit your information and time, and YAY FOR YOU!  She's giving away random-draw prizes, so there's your incentive to get your ass off the couch.

About times:  Look, I'm not a speed demon.  I'm lucky to run waddle a 17-minute mile.  The point isn't how fast you can go.  The point is that you actually WENT.  Besides, even if you're doing like 20+ minute miles?  You're still lapping every lazy blob that is still on their couch.

So ... join me, cupcake.  Get involved in making your health a priority.  Be proud of yourself, take care of yourself, LOVE YOURSELF, and your work life will follow. 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm ... does reading about running, walking, heck - even getting off the couch 'count'? Good for you ... okay, does even thinking about it count? Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete